Robert E. Sheridan
Bob was born and raised in Butte, Montana where he attended grade and high schools. He then attended the University of Notre Dame where he received a bachelor's degree in finance (cum laude) in 1964. He entered the University of Montana law school in the fall of 1964 and received a Juris Doctor degree in 1967.
Bob practiced law with a small firm in the Missoula area for several years before joining Garlington, Lohn & Robinson on June 1, 1970. During his thirty years with the firm his practice has focused on defense litigation with primary emphasis in the areas of railroad (FELA) law, products liability, governmental liability, premises liability and vehicular liability. He also has extensive experience in defending workers' compensation claims. In addition to his civil trial experience he has handled numerous appellate matters in both the state and federal appellate systems. In recent years he has frequently served in the capacity of a mediator or settlement master for court mandated settlement conferences in the State of Montana.
Professional affiliations include membership in the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel and selection to the American Board of Trial Advocates. Bob was inducted in September 2008 as a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. For many years he served as a member of on the Rules Advisory Committee to the Montana Workers' Compensation Court. He holds an "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and is included in the publication “The Best Lawyers in America.”
Community activities include a longtime association with the Missoula County United Way where he has served both as President of the Board of Directors and Campaign Director for the annual fund drive. He has served several terms on the board of the Grizzly Athletic Association at the University of Montana and is a past president of both the Missoula and State chapters. He has served as a member of the advisory board for St. Patrick Hospital. He has also served on the board of trustees for Missoula County High Schools.
Interests outside the practice of law include golfing, kayaking, skiing, and running. He and his wife, Kay have three children.
Areas of Practice
- Defense Litigation
- Products Liability
- Governmental Liability
- Premises Liability
- Vehicular Liability
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Montana, 1967
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1967
- U.S. District Court District of Montana, 1967
- University of Montana School of Law, Missoula, Montana
- Juris Doctor - 1967
- University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
- B.B.A. cum laude - 1964
- Major: Finance
Honors and Awards
- "AV" rating from Martindale Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers USA: Leading Lawyers in Litigation (Mediators)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Grizzly Athletic Association, Head
- University of Montana Sports Program, Active Interest
- Workers Compensation Court, Member, Rules Advisory Committee, 1982 - Present
- Western Montana Bar Association, Member
- Missoula County High School, Member, Board of Trustees, 1970 - 1973
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member